Thoughts on a third trip to Kenya.
Expectations: They are always shot. But still I think it's OK to have expectations. The danger is having them without acknowledging what they are and accepting that they may not be met. Expectations are a normal part of anticipation, imagination, longing, hopefulness. But if expectation becomes the minimal standard by which we judge our activities then we are often disappointed.
Before this trip I had trouble managing my expectations. I had two goals: 1) Complete the work I had to do on my research and 2) Be involved in every way I could with Naomi's Village. However, I had no idea what either one would look like. Expectations can be dangerous at that point, when you have so little information to go on but such high hopes. But in everything, I know that the Lord guides my steps and takes me where He pleases. I pray that no matter my expectations that He be glorified and have His way. '…not my will but Yours be done'. So what happened?
- Research: Wow, I don't know. I tried. I was told to map the HIV program, get a good sense of where patients come from and where they fall out of care, and if possible get some numbers associated with that. Well, I got something that fits that description. I had high hopes that I could do a lot to follow up on the TB quality improvement project from last year, and there I was disappointed. I did get to give a presentation to the AIDS Relief team, however, presenting the data I collected from last year and opening up a great discussion on quality TB care which was very challenging. But what I learned was that as an institution, Kijabe is not ready for a lot of work in the area of TB. Potentially because there is so little funding in that area compared to HIV. It's really unfortunate because TB is the number 1 killer of people with HIV and unless a concerted effort at case detection and treatment is undertaken, the community will continue to be a breeding ground for TB infection.
- Naomi's Village: Blew away my expectations- in a good way. Where do I start? I was at the break of tears almost constantly while around Naomi's Village. God loves children and orphans, He loves them so much. At Naomi's Village I got to:
- Play with the 21 young children rescued from situations most of us cannot even imagine. In just the 2 weeks I was at NV, I saw these kids come out of their shell as they began to feel safe and loved. I get choked up just thinking about that. What does the smile on the face of a child mean? When their eyes are clear and their countenance joyful? For these kids, it means they have a new life worth living.
- Meet the staff of NV, all wonderful and truly passionate people dedicated to raising up these children in the Kingdom of God.
- Spend the night with the youngest, baby Evans (4 months), changing diapers and waking up at 2 AM for bottle feeds.
- Visit the Child Rescue Center in Naivasha to meet number 22, a one year old named Quincey. I learned more in that hour of talking with the manager there about the plight of children in Kenya than I learned in my combined ~ 4 months in Kenya. Again, I could not keep the tears back and I promise I tried really hard.
- Play with the 21 young children rescued from situations most of us cannot even imagine. In just the 2 weeks I was at NV, I saw these kids come out of their shell as they began to feel safe and loved. I get choked up just thinking about that. What does the smile on the face of a child mean? When their eyes are clear and their countenance joyful? For these kids, it means they have a new life worth living.
- IDP Clinic: I spent 4 days in the IDP (internally displaced people or in-country refugees) camp seeing patients as one of only 5 practitioners in a mission outreach. We saw over 1,000 patients! There was a gospel tent (although I don't know what happened over there), clinical services (me), counseling run by an awesome team of college kids from the US, and pharmacy with free meds. I gave out more tyelenol, albenazole, and multivitamins than I can count. Honestly, during those 4 days I was exhausted. I was barely over jet lag and completely overwhelmed by human suffering and need that accosted us relentlessly. I often felt helpless, and occasionally worried that we were doing more harm than good. At the end we collected a list of needs that we thought we could do something about and left a little fund for those patients to have follow up care. I truly hope that will mean something for those people. Looking back, I am so glad I got to be involved. The people I worked with were amazing and I hope life long friends. And I think we did some good for our patients. If nothing else, I am so grateful to put my hands on those who have nothing, who are dirty and sick, and to tell them that they matter and I will do my best to help them be well. I also heard from the counseling team that several people accepted Christ at counseling, and of course that's the best outcome anyone could hope for!
I also think 2 very special, profound and personal things happened while I was in Kenya. The Lord always does something in my heart when I travel to these places, and almost always checks my lifestyle. I spend too much money on frivolous things, forget to pray and am undisciplined in the Word. Besides rekindling my desire to fully embracing a humble lifestyle surrendered to the Lord, He did 2 special things for me. While at a church service in the slums of Nairobi, He gave me a word for a church member there- a Kenyan man. The pastor confirmed that word, and I was so blessed that the Lord would use me in such a way. I don't think this has ever happened anywhere outside of the US, outside of my own church or other familiar places. It struck me as significant. (And also the word was that the man would bring many people to the Lord, which is really exciting!) Secondly, the Lord impressed upon me again the plight of young women who are trafficked, abused, and abandoned. A little over a year ago the Lord told me to start a home for women trafficked in the sex trade. It came with such a sense of urgency that I thought I had to start on the project immediately. However, the timing hasn't been quite right and I know that I still have much to learn (not to mention my medical training still to do). Even still, He reminded me, again with the feeling of urgency, that I am to start such a home, and potentially in a place like Kenya. Somehow, someday, and only by the grace and power of the God who sees, knows, and loves these women, I know that He will use me for that purpose. I want to be ready when the time comes. "Here I am Lord, use me!"
No comments:
Post a Comment