Sometimes I find it difficult to really get into the local culture of a place when I go somewhere. It takes a while to get comfortable in a new setting, to meet people, and to start having any kind of meaningful conversation leaning toward friendship. It's been almost 3 weeks and I've started making friends with Kenyans. Tonight I went to a pray meeting and really had a good time. Tomorrow I've been invited to dinner at my friends house, I will be bringing Stony Tangawazi (if you've never had it, you are really missing out!)
But now that I have things to do and am making friends with Kenyans, I am getting ready to leave in just over a week. Gone, just like that. And who knows if and when I will see them again? That is the trouble with short term work like this.
There is a Swahili saying that goes something like this: It is only the mountains which never meet, but people will meet again. My friend Ada told me that last year when I left, I wrote it in my journal. I did not expect to be back at Kijabe. You never know when God will reunite you with someone, so even if you only have a short time it is important to invest in the relationship!

No comments:
Post a Comment