Friday, February 10, 2012

Back to real life?

One week back stateside; one week back in the day to day, moment to moment, nitty grittiness of home...

When I'm away from home, I miss it so much.  When I'm in my home, I'm overwhelmed by the stress of my every day life.  Where is the green grass again?

The struggle is to be wholly present in the Holy Present- completely there where God has put you, where He is.  Whether that be in Kenya, or Galveston TX.  Present, engaged, and thankful for the moment.

For me, that can be easier when I'm overseas.  Something about the foreign unfamiliar makes me stop and seek God, find His beauty, and be thankful for everything.  I'm thankful I made it across the ocean in 2 different airplanes!  Thankful to have a place to stay!  Thankful for food to eat!  Maybe its the fact that so many people in that area of the world don't; just being there makes you slow down and SEE things differently, and be thankful.

Coming home on the other hand?  Immediately EVERYTHING gets crazy and complex, exhausting (or is it jet lag?), and SUPER SONIC SPEED.  I have to be so intentional to stop my racing mind, my anxious heart; to slow down and see my God and listen to His Words, to trust in Him.  I have to stop, look, and wait on Him.

Otherwise I'm immediately overwhelmmed.


"One of the most amazing revelations of God comes to  us when we learn that it is in the everyday things of life that we realize the magnificent diety of Jesus Christ."  ~ Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest (Feb 7)

But I am like a flourishing olive tree in the house of God; I continually trust in God's loyal love.  I will continually thank you when you execute judgement; I will rely on you, for your loyal followers know you are good.    Ps. 52:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment